If you've ever watched a show on HGTV, you've heard about the importance of curb appeal. But now, how your home looks from the street may be even more important than ever. With so many home buyers doing more of their home search from a distance, the way the exterior of your home shows can determine if they will schedule a tour. More home buyers are doing drive by tours before deciding if they want to see the home in person.
If you're going to sell your home, here are some easy tips to make sure your home's first impression is a good one.
1. Maintain the Driveway and Walkways. Patch any cracks, remove weeds, power spray, or even add a clear sealant over your driveway and walkways. Blow or sweep off the driveway and walkways before showings, open houses, or professional photos so the areas are free of debris.
2. Update the Front Door. A worn or outdated front yard can be an eyesore on an otherwise lovely home. A fresh paint job, new hardware, or even a brand new door can make a huge difference.
3. Freshen Flower Beds. If you have flower beds in the front yard, a fresh layer of mulch, some new plants, and a general cleanup of the area can be a beautiful focal point for the front yard.
4. Maintain the Lawn. If you don't already, consider weekly lawn maintenance so that the lawn is always in great shape. Quickly remove any debris like small branches or dropped leaves from the wind.
5. Add Tasteful Decor. A simple wreath on the door and a decorative welcome mat can be all you need to add a cheerful vibe to your curb appeal. Garden decor should be used in moderation. (It's time to pack up your garden gnome collection). As with the house, it's best to remove personalized decor as you would ultimately like potential buyers to visualize themselves living there.
6. Remember Lighting. Home buyers may be driving by at night to check out the neighborhood before they decide to tour your home. Remember to keep porch lights on and regularly check that the lights and bulbs are working. Consider adding pathway lights or an accent light on a focal feature in your yard.
7. Repair Fencing. If you have a wood privacy fence, touch up areas that may have faded or re-stain the entire thing. It's also a good time to repair any broken or sagging sections.
8. Don't Forget the Garage Door. The garage door takes a lot of abuse between daily use and the weather, so power wash it and repaint it if necessary. You can also add a new panel with windows or replace the entire thing if it's seen better days.
If you are planning to sell your home, we would be happy to create a custom home valuation for you so you know what your home may be worth in today's market. We are experts in selling real estate in Northern Nevada and can answer any questions you may have about buying or selling in the Reno-Sparks area.