The summer buying season is in full swing and the market is hot. Mortgage rates are near historic lows and potential buyers are eager to take advantage of the savings. The median home price in the Reno-Sparks area was $310,000 at the end of May and will likely climb throughout the summer. But just because the market is doing well doesn't mean you can forego your home's upkeep during the summer months.
Here are our top tips to make the most of your home during the summer buying season.
1. Keep your lawn mowed (and edged, blown, and weeded). Not only does this add to curb appeal, but finicky buyers may assume that if the yard is in disrepair, the house must be as well.
2. Repair Obvious Issues. Do you have fence boards that are hanging awkwardly? What about a leaky sprinkler? Take a critical look at your yard and outdoor space and fix the obvious issues.
3. Declutter. Outdoor clutter is common in the summer, especially when you're planning to move. Rent a storage unit if your clutter can't be organized in the space you have. It's also a good time to go through your summer gear to see what you can donate or throw out.
4. Freshen Up Outdoor Furniture. If your wrought iron patio table and chairs and seen better days, consider power spraying and repainting them. Spray paint can work wonders on faded plastic furniture or planter pots.
5. Let the Light Shine In. Open drapes and blinds to let the most light in. It makes the house look larger and cooler. Be sure to turn lights on for evening showings.
6. Keep Your AC On. Make sure potential home buyers are comfortable by keeping your home cool.
7. Clean the Windows. You want to get the most out of your windows. Not only do they let light in, but they also offer a sneak peak of the back yard.
8. Maximize Curb Appeal. A fresh coat of paint on the front door, bright flowers in the planter and a clean, uncluttered front porch go a long way in ensuring a great first impression.
If you're planning to sell your home this summer, give us a call for a complimentary home evaluation at 775-453-4568. We have an excellent marketing plan and closely follow Reno real estate trends so we know how the real estate market is fluctuating by neighborhood.