Maybe your family is larger now than when you purchased your home. Perhaps you underestimated the size of your bakeware collection and storage in your kitchen is a problem. No matter the size of your kitchen, you can create more storage without major renovations. Check out these six tips to make the most of your kitchen design.
1. Maximize Your Cabinet Space. Most people don't use their cabinets effectively. Consider installing shelves, or under shelf baskets inside your cabinets to double your shelf space.
2. Invest in Tension Rods. You can use tension rods in your under-sink cabinet or pantry to hold spray cleaning products or trash bags to keep them off the shelf. Add a tension rod or two to larger drawers to compartmentalize pots, pans, lids or bulkier items. Everything stays in its spot and you don't have to go digging through a drawer to find that tiny lid that fits that one special pot you use twice a year.
3. Look Up. If your ceiling and floor plan allow for it, a ceiling mounted pot rack can save a lot of cabinet space. Find a rack that fits your style and the size of your space. Some ceiling mounted pot racks are designed specifically for lower ceilings.
4. Use Proper Kitchen Tools. An over the sink cutting board and a magnetic knife strip can save you storage space and keep your frequently used kitchen tools readily available.
5. Be Picky About Paint. A small pattern and dark colors will make your kitchen space smaller. Go with clear or frosted glass cabinet doors and light colored surfaces to give the illusion of a larger space.
6. De-clutter. If you're housing two corkscrews or multiple sets of measuring cups, it may be time to go through your kitchen tools and decide what needs to be donated.
If your kitchen is just too small or it's time to upgrade, we would be happy to help you find a new home that better fits your needs and lifestyle. We can set up a customized home search for homes in the Reno-Sparks area that fit your specific criteria and you'll get an email every time a matching home hits the MLS. Give us a call for more information at 775-453-4568.