Moving into a new home can be stressful. There are movers unloading, so much cleaning to do, and a new home in a new neighborhood to get comfortable in. If you're planning to move, there are some steps to take that can make move in much easier.
- Change your locks and reprogram the garage door opener. Contractors, neighbors, and friends of the previous owner could have keys to your home.
- Schedule Utilities. Ideally, you've already scheduled your basic utilities (water, gas, electric) to transfer to your name before you actually move in. Don't forget to schedule cable and internet.
- Schedule Services. Lawn care, laundry service, cleaning service, and any other services should be updated with your new address and scheduled if you will need them at the new home.
- Deep Clean. Whether you hire a cleaning service or tackle this project on your own is up to you. Deep clean the home before you unpack so you can be sure that you're unpacking all of your things in a clean environment.
- Locate the Essentials. Find the main water valve and the electrical panel. Both should be listed in your home inspection report.
- Change Your Address. Update your address with the post office and your financial institutions.
- Make a List of Emergency Numbers. If you're moving to a new community, your emergency contact numbers may be different. Your Realtor will likely be able to provide you with a list of local emergency contacts.
- Meet the Neighbors. While this probably isn't the top thing on your to-do list, you should take time to meet the neighbors. You could even plan on hosting a neighborhood get together at your new place a few weeks out from moving in. Not only will you meet your new neighbors, but it will give you a hard deadline to get your new home unpacked.
Are you planning on moving? Search all homes for sale in Reno and Sparks or contact us to set up a completely customized home search where you will be notified when homes that meet your search criteria come on the market. For more information, call us at 775-453-4568.