With the holiday season comes an uptick in crime. Before the celebrations begin in full, check out these quick tips to make sure you, your family and your property remain safe.
- Be aware of social media. Be careful what you post, and definitely don't post holiday travel plans or schedules (and remind the kids not to post anything like that).
- Light up the exterior of your home. Thieves don't like to work in light if they can help it. Motion sensing lights are great deterrents to would-be burglars.
- Don't forget doors and windows. You may be surprised how many homes are accessed by thieves through unlocked doors and windows. Make sure everything is locked up and the garage door is closed before you leave.
- Leave the lights on. If you're going out of town, leave automatic timers on a few strategically placed lights so anyone passing by would think someone is home. You can even set your tv or radio to timers to add noise.
- Get to know your neighbors. Let your neighbors know you'll be going out of town so they can keep an eye on your home and report anything suspicious.
- Mind your mail and deliveries. If you'll be going out of town, have you mail and deliveries stopped, or ask a friend or neighbor to pick them up for you.
- Have deliveries delivered to a safe location. If you're worried about deliveries being stolen while you're at work, have them delivered to your office or a friend or neighbor's home who you know will be home.
- Shop in numbers. When possible, shop with another person. There is safety in numbers.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Stay off your phone and other distractions when shopping, especially in parking lots. Not only will you have a better chance of remembering where you're parked, but will be safer carrying things back to your car.
- Protect your ID. This is especially important when shopping online. Only purchase from sites you trust and make sure the site is secure before entering any payment information. (It should say https:// before a website url).
- Ask for an escort. If you feel unsafe walking to your vehicle for any reason, ask the store to provide you with an escort to your vehicle. They should be happy to have a security guard or employee walk with you.