The fall real estate market is generally a good market to sell in. With the strong Reno real estate market we've seen all year, there's no reason to think that won't continue, though the market does cool going into winter every year. Reno is in a unique situation because the demand for homes is very high and supply in the most desired price ranges is still low. Check out more about the Reno real estate market here.
If you will be selling your home this fall, consider these tips to attract buyers.
1. Keep the Yard Clean. Piles of leaves, tall grass and a leaking sprinkler head won't leave potential home buyers with the best impression. Even after you winterize your sprinkler system, make sure your lawn is maintained and leaves are cleaned up. Clean up immediately after storms to keep things looking neat.
2. Schedule a Furnace Tune Up. You don't want your heat to kick on and blast potential home buyers with a burnt, musty smell. Have your HVAC tuned up before listing your property.
3. Clean the Fireplace. As the temperatures drop, potential home buyers will be more aware of the fireplace. Make sure it's been recently cleaned and any glass panels or screens are clean and in working condition. Bonus points if you have a chimney inspection to include with the listing documents.
4. Create Fall Curb Appeal. An autumn-themed welcome mat, mums or other fall flowers, and a pumpkin accent or two can really highlight an otherwise boring front porch. A front porch should be clean, clear of any tripping hazards (hoses, toys, etc.) and look welcoming.
5. Turn on the Lights. As the days become shorter, odds are good that potential home buyers may be viewing your home in the evening. Check that all light bulbs work, lampshades are clean, and lights are on for showings. Keep windows open to let more light in during the daytime and make sure windows are clean.
6. Don't Go Overboard with Holiday Decor. If Halloween or Thanksgiving is your favorite holiday, feel free to celebrate, but decorate with moderation. Not everyone will be able to imagine themselves in a home filled with turkey decor. Some holiday decorations make accessibility difficult as well, so be aware of how people will feel moving through your home.
Fall can be a wonderful time to sell a home in Reno. If you are planning to sell your property, contact us today.