If your home is on the market, it's hard to deny potential buyers the opportunity to take a look. What if they're "the one"? But if you're like most people, your home doesn't look perfect all day, every day. While we do our absolute best to give sellers plenty of time to prepare for each showing, sometimes things pop up and sometimes home sellers forget we're coming by, and not all agents are great about giving you 24 hours notice. With that in mind, we've compiled a list of six tips to help you get your home ready for visitors in 15 minutes or less.
1. Let The Light Shine In. Open all your blinds and curtains. A bright home feels more spacious and clean than one with closed up windows. Turn on the lights in the bedrooms and bathrooms too. If you have accent lighting or lights in the closet, make sure they're on.
2. Hide Stuff Under The Bed. We tend to shove stuff into closets before guest arrive, but potential buyers might be checking out your closet space. If you have a bed skirt, you can hide things under the bed because very few (if any!) people will look there.
3. Clear and Clean Counters. Before you start showing your home, you should have your kitchen counters clear of clutter. Not only does clutter make the counter space seem smaller, but it makes it hard for buyers to imagine their stuff there. Give the counters a good wipe down and hit the appliances too if they have obvious marks or fingerprints.
4. Check the Bathroom. Make sure the bathrooms are picked up and the counters and sink faucet is wiped down. Keep cleaner and a rag in each bathroom to make last minute clean ups convenient.
5. Have a Plan for the Pets. Will the dog be kenneled in the garage for the showing or go with you? Make sure to remove the source of any smells like pet food or pet beds (pet beds do well hidden under the bed).
6. Remove Any Smells. If you've just had lunch, rinse the dishes and put them in the dishwasher. Wipe down the counters and sink with cleaner. If the pets need a bath, a quick vacuuming and Febreze can help. Whether your preference is a quality candle, an oil diffuser, or the wall plug in scents, choose a scent that isn't overwhelming, but helps create a pleasant first impression.
The easiest way to clean up for last minute showings is to keep your home as clean and picked up as possible on a daily basis. Every evening, straighten things up and clean up immediately after meals. Many homeowners choose to hire a weekly cleaning service to keep their home in excellent shape while the home is listed. Whatever you decide to do, remember that this is temporary and the better your home shows, the more likely it is to sell quickly!
Have questions about the home selling process? Want to learn more about the current real estate market in Reno? Ready to list your home? Give us a call at 775-453-4568. We would be thrilled to help you sell your home.