You may be looking for ways to spruce up your home before you list it this summer. Remember that buyers want to see themselves in your home and the touches that make a house your home may not let them do that as easily. If your decorating style over powers a room, potentially interested buyers may pass.
Before you turn to Pinterest or binge watch your favorite HGTV show looking for the best ideas for your space consider these tips on design trends you may want to avoid when selling your home.
- Bold Paint Choices. You love your purple dining room and your daughter's hot pink bedroom. We understand, but potential home buyers may not be so forgiving. Some buyers are looking for a move in-ready home and your bold paint choices make it more difficult for them to imagine their own things in that room.
- Your Pet's Stuff. Pet rooms are gaining in popularity. From dog-washing stations to kitchen islands with built-in pet feeding stations, pets are definitely have a space in our homes. But for home buyers without pets or with different species or breeds, your pet-friendly designs may seem like a nuisance.
- Converted Garage. The majority of home buyers will prefer a garage to be a place to park their cars, not a game room or an extra living space.
- Lush Outdoor Living. In Northern Nevada, we get to enjoy relatively cool summer evenings that lend well to outdoor living. From complete outdoor kitchens to lush landscapes, overdone outdoor spaces can intimidate potential buyers. If outdoor living spaces aren't common in your neighborhood, you may be overbuilding for your area.
- Wallpaper. A modern trend is to use wallpaper to add bold patterns and bright colors to your design. Before choosing to add wallpaper, remember that removing it is very time consuming if you think it may be too bold or alienating for home buyers.
If you're preparing to sell your home, give us a call. We'd be happy to provide a complimentary property valuation so you know what your home is worth in today's market.