Congratulations! You've accepted an offer on your home and your home's inspection was near flawless. Or perhaps you're refinancing your home to take advantage of the low interest rates. There are several reasons you might be planning for a home appraisal and we'd like to help you prepare. Here's what you need to know.
- Know what the appraiser is looking for. Appraisers will look at comparable sales and new listings in your neighborhood to determine the comps (comparable sales). They may drive by, to check the general condition of the home or they may take a look inside. They're goal is to determine the value of your property.
- Which upgrades matter? Typically, a well-done kitchen or bathroom remodel will improve the value of the home. A newer roof and HVAC also may increase the value.
- How you can help. A clean home shows better than dirty, cluttered homes. Touch up or repaint walls that need to be freshened up. Make sure the yard is tidy. Just make sure your home makes a generally good impression.
- What about my pets? If the appraiser comes inside, keep dogs (and friendly cats) locked up.
- Be organized. Have a list of repairs or upgrades that you've completed. Your Realtor will pass this information on to the appraiser so they can consider it for the appraisal and confirm it when they're at your home.
If you have questions about your appraisal, your Realtor will be your best resource. If you are planning to sell your home, please contact us. We've sold homes throughout the Reno-Sparks area and are very familiar with the local neighborhoods and amenities.