The housing market in Northern Nevada is still a seller's market. If you're planning to sell your home, you're likely concerned with home renovations that will increase your property's value. Since we're solidly into summer now, outdoor features are ranking high on that list. Below are the top five outdoor features that will get you the most bang for your buck as well as set your home apart from the other properties buyers may be looking at.
1. Barbecue Station. A dedicated area to grill ranks can be a high priority for some home buyers. Don't go all out on an outdoor kitchen, however. If you have the space on your back porch or yard, you can create a comfortable, sitting area with a table along with your grill. Use the available space to your advantage.
2. Fire Pits. There are hundreds of do-it-yourself tutorials on building your own fire pit and the cost of the materials is fairly low. Make sure to build the fire pit away from any fire hazards, including brush, trees, or outbuildings.
3. Lighting. Feature lights can highlight the best parts of your yard like a vine-covered arbor or a beautiful water feature. Pathway lights can create ambiance and add safety. If your porch lights are discolored or damaged, replacing them can be an inexpensive fix that make a noticeable difference.
4. Trees. If you're planning to move in a few years or more, planting a tree is an excellent investment. Many home buyers prefer a yard with shade trees and you'll benefit from lower electric bills. A mature tree can have an appraised value of up to $10,000, according to the Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers.
5. Patio. Stamped concrete and pavers are both popular patio trends right now and home buyers love the extra space. Even a smaller patio with two comfortable chairs and a table can create a comfortable outdoor living space. Brighten the area up with potted plants and attractive lighting.
If you're planning to sell your home, it's a great time to do so. There is strong buyer demand for homes in the Reno-Sparks area. For more information about the local real estate market, or if you're interested in selling your home, please contact Sallan Real Estate for a complimentary home valuation, so you will know how much your home is worth in today's market.