In the fall and winter, it's easy to ignore your home's curb appeal. The sprinkler system is winterized. The trees have lost their leaves. The vegetable gave up the good fight months ago.
But if you're selling your home, your yard and home's exterior still make the first impression on potential home buyers. Don't leave them wanting more from your curb appeal. There are several ways to make your yard and entry look great, despite what Mother Nature may throw at it.
1. Keep it clean. Storms and winter weather can wreak havoc on a well kept yard. Make sure broken tree limbs, fallen leaves and muddy areas are picked up and cleaned up immediately.
2. Plant seasonal color. Check out your local garden center for seasonal plants that will make it through the winter. Even pops of color from mums add a brightness to an otherwise drab front yard.
3. Choose potted plants. If planting and maintaining a garden bed seems like too much effort, consider purchasing some nice pots to showcase your plants.
4. Add seasonal decor. If your home is for sale, you should probably forego turning it into a haunted house this year. But tasteful decorations on the front porch or a wreath on the door will add color and draw buyers' eyes to the entry.
5. Prepare for snow. If we have a winter season like last year, you'll need to be prepared for snow. You want homeowners to be able to access your home, so make it as safe and easy as possible. The driveway and walkways should be clear. There are several techniques to melt ice so no one slips. Have those products on had before our first winter storm.
6. Stay organized. Whether that means keeping the garage tidy so you can park your cars there rather than the driveway or on the street, or not piling boxes and trash next to your garbage can on the side of your house, staying organized can help your home show better.
7. Maintain the exterior. Faded paint, broken siding and cracked walkways all hint at neglect. Make your home look fresh and well kept by making any repairs now.
8. Maximize lighting. Front porch lights should be fully functioning and clean for maximum light. Keep your home well lit for evening showings as a brightly lit home looks more welcoming from the street.
9. Add mulch. Even if your garden bed isn't overflowing with flowers, fresh mulch can make the area look cleaned up.
If you are planning to sell your home this year, you make be sitting on more equity than you know. Contact us for a complimentary, no-obligation market analysis on your home so you know exactly what it is worth in today's market in Reno-Sparks.