If you are one of the many Northern Nevada home owners preparing to sell their home this summer, you may be contemplating which home maintenance chores to tackle before you list your home. Even if you aren't planning to sell, there are several chores you should take care of before summer hits. While there are some jobs better left to professionals or those with experience, like roof repairs and major renovations, there are plenty of things you can take on yourself.
1. Check the Roof. If you're not comfortable on your roof, a ladder and pair of binoculars can help you spot damaged or missing shingles. Call a professional to asses and repair any damage.
2. Inspect Concrete. With the wet winter we had, your concrete may be in need of repair. Check all walkways, patios, and your driveway for cracks or damage.
3. Check Outside Faucets. The bitter cold could have damaged your pipes. Turn on the water and place your finger over the faucet. If this stops the water, you may have a broken pipe and should contact a plumber.
4. Reseal and Repair Wood. Decks and fences likely took a beating the last few months. Make sure the sealer is still doing it's job and protecting the wood. If not, it's time for another sealer application.
5. Boost Your Curb Appeal. Fresh mulch and flowers can make a yard look so much nicer after the dreary winter days. Work with a local garden shop to choose plants that will thrive in the Northern Nevada climate. A clean front porch and front door are especially welcoming.
6. Clean the Gutters. If you are comfortable on a ladder, now is a good time to clean the debris out of your gutters. You should have done this in the fall as well, but there will still likely be leaves and other debris that could damage your gutters.
7. Clean Patio Furniture. Even if your patio furniture has been rinsed down by the rain, a mild detergent can go a long way to freshening up your patio furniture for the summer season.
8. Wash Window Screens. Using warm water and dish washing liquid, scrub each window screen with a soft brush and rinse and let air dry.
9. Reorganize the Garage. Since this winter seemed especially long, you may have accumulated more stuff in your garage than you intended. Spring is the perfect time to clean out the garage and reorganize and donate what you're not using.
10. Clean Up the Grill. Even if you cover your grill, a thorough scrubbing will get it ready for the summer grilling season. If your grill is propane, refill or replace the propane tanks.
If you are planning to sell your home or have questions about the Reno-Sparks real estate market, please reach out to Sallan Real Estate. We would be honored to serve you however we can.