Moving can be stressful. You pack everything you own into a moving truck, or hire a company to do it for you, then drive across town, or across country, to unpack into a new home. Add setting up utilities, cleaning, and remembering where you put the "important" box you were supposed to unpack first and it can be chaotic. If you're preparing for a move, this list of things NOT to do may be helpful.
1. Procrastinating. No one likes to pack. But it's a necessary evil, so the sooner you get started, the better. Remember to buy extra packing tape so you don't run out mid-kitchen and have to drive back to the hardware store.
2. Disorganized Packing. It helps to go from room to room packing like items together so when you unpack, you're not trying to figure out where things will go. Make sure you're fragile items are wrapped well and the box is clearly marked "Fragile". Some people find color coding boxes to rooms with markers or stickers can be helpful. For example, kitchen boxes could be marked in blue. Boxes for the study could be yellow. Movers find this to be an efficient process too.
3. Not Scheduling Your Move Well. If you don't have a particular reason to move in the middle of summer, another season may be better. In addition to being hot, most people move during the summer because kids are out of school. The beginning and the end of the month are also the busiest times to move, so a mid-month move so you may be able to save some money.
4. Not Measuring Your New Home. Are you sure your king sized bedroom set will fit in the new home? What about your washer and dryer in the laundry room. Take measurements of any space you're concerned about before moving in so you can plan what to do with the furniture.
5. Not Getting Quotes from Moving Companies. You could rent a moving truck and have your friends pitch in on moving day. Or you could hire a professional moving company. Whether you want the pros to do it all, including pack your things, or just move you out of your current home and into your new home, you should get quotes first. Get several quotes from reputable companies and make sure they are licensed and insured before committing.
If you are searching for your new home in Northern Nevada, we would be honored to help. We will create a custom, complimentary home search that will alert you as soon as homes that meet your requirements come on the market. Call us at 775-453-4568 or contact us here.