If you're planning on selling your home, you may have a few questions. We completely understand and have compiled a list of some of the most commonly asked questions by home sellers about selling their home. If you're interested in selling your home, call us at 775-453-0209. We'd be honored to help you navigate the home selling process.
1. How much is my house worth? The median home price in Reno-Sparks in February 2016 was $290,000- just $2,000 short of a local record-high. Contact us for a no-obligation, free home valuation and we'll give you a good idea of what your home could sell for. We highly recommend having your Realtor value your home at least a several weeks prior to putting it on the market. This will give you time to take care of anything that could significantly increase your homes' value. (See #2)
2. What should I do to prepare my home for sale? Even if you keep a clean, organized home, there's a good chance it will look even better if you deep clean or have a professional cleaner come in. Do your floors need to be professionally cleaned? When was the last time you really cleaned your blinds, baseboards and light fixtures? If these are dirty, potential home buyers will notice. Since you're planning on moving, start packing up things you know you won't need over the next couple months. Consider renting a storage unit or store the boxes out of the way so your home doesn't look cluttered. This is also a good time to donate items that are still in good condition that you find you don't use or need.
3. Do I need to stage my home? Yes. We're not saying you have to pack up everything you own and hire a pro to bring in their furniture. But you do need to take a critical eye to your things. What has worked for you might not show your home in its best light. Have a discerning friend or your real estate agent offer suggestions if you're at a loss as to what you need to do. If your home is vacant, definitely consider hiring a professional as homes with some furniture and decor tend to show better than totally empty homes.
4. Do I have to update my home? Maybe. Talk to your Realtor. They will help you decide if the cost is worth any potential increase in home value. Fresh paint, updated fixtures, and a clean, well-kept front yard can set your home apart from the competition. Do you need to do a total kitchen remodel? Probably not.
5. Can I prepare for the home inspection? Definitely. If you're concerned about the home inspection, hire your own inspector. For a few hundred dollars, a licensed home inspector will perform a home inspection prior to listing it for sale. This will give you time to make any necessary repairs before any potential buyers see your home. This could be helpful in selling the home and you're less likely to face price reductions due to repairs after you've accepted an offer.
6. How long will it take to sell my home? The average days a home in Reno-Sparks has spent on the market for the last few months is hovering at just over 100 days. The supply of homes for sale is significantly lower than the demand for homes so we expect the time on the market to decrease in the coming months. Homes under $300,000 sell most quickly. The neighborhood and features of a home can also affect how quickly a home might sell.
Have other questions about selling your home? We'd be happy to help. Call us at 775-453-0209 any time.