Are you planning to sell your home before the year ends? Or maybe you're planning to put it on the market next spring? When you decide to list your home, it's likely important you get as much as possible as quickly as possible. Many homeowners in Northern Nevada have significant equity in their homes and are planning to take advantage of the booming housing market. Before you list your home, make sure to do these eight things so your home gives the best impression to potential buyers.
1. Remove Clutter. You don't want to lug or unnecessary boxes to your new home, so remove as much clutter as possible before (or during) packing. Consider donating gently used items to local non-profits and recycle whatever you can.
2. Deep Clean. Cleaning the grout in your bathroom doesn't sound like a fun Saturday afternoon, but when potential home buyers notice the sparkling bathroom, it will be worth it. Don't forget to clean carpets, baseboards, fans, blinds, etc. If a deep cleaning isn't something you'd like to tackle yourself, consider hiring professionals.
3. Boost Curb Appeal. Even if you're planning to sell in the middle of winter, curb appeal is very important. Trimmed bushes and trees, fresh mulch, and clear and clean walkways can make a good first impression.
4. De-Personalize. You don't have to remove every family photo from your home, but the easier it is for potential home buyers to imagine themselves in the space, the better. Also consider removing anything that might be considered offensive or too personal, like your display room for your taxidermy hobby or the wall of your children's school photos.
5. Paint. Whether it's touching up a relatively fresh paint job or painting the entire house a more neutral color, fresh paint is almost always a good idea. Choose neutral colors that work with your flooring, cabinets and counters.
6. Have a Home Inspection. A home inspection will cost several hundred dollars, but you'll be able to address anything that may come up on the inspection the buyer will have completed.
7. Consider Staging. If you will be moving out of your home before you put it on the market a home stager can bring in furniture to highlight specific rooms in your home, to give buyers an idea of how it could look. It may be worth hiring a stager who can help you use your own furniture and decor to showcase your home in the best way.
8. Hire an Real Estate Agent You Trust. Choosing the right real estate agent can significantly effect the sale of your home. Not only do you want to work with someone you trust and who has experience selling in your neighborhood, but you also want to choose an agent who will market your home to home buyers who are most likely to purchase your home. Ask for testimonials and for a list of homes they've recently sold.
If you are planning to sell your home in Northern Nevada, Sallan Real Estate would be honored to assist you. We have decades of experience helping people buy and sell their homes in Reno- Sparks and would love the opportunity to help you as well. Contact us here or call 775-453-4568.