Buying a new home or selling your current home can be a big decision and choosing a real estate agent you both trust and who is an expert in buying or selling homes in your area can affect the whole experience. Before you decide to use the agent your mom's best friend's daughter recommended, be sure to ask these eight questions to make sure there's a good fit.
1. What neighborhoods do you specialize in? If you're planning to buy a home in Somersett, you will likely want to work with a Realtor who knows the neighborhood and local amenities. Just because an agent can sell a home in a certain area doesn't mean they will be the best choice for you.
2. How long have you been a real estate agent? Experience can mean a lot in real estate. More experienced agents have probably handled difficult situations in the past and know how to manage or prevent those situations from arising again.
3. Can you handle my unique situation? Are you planning to sell your home in Reno from out of state? Will you be purchasing an investment property? Make sure you ask potential agents if they are equipped to handle your unique situation and ask for references from previous clients in similar situations.
4. What is your availability? If you know you'll need (or want) an agent who is available full time, someone who also has a "day job" will probably not be a great fit. If your schedule is urgent and you need to move immediately, an agent who will be taking an extended vacation this month might not work out. Make sure your schedules are compatible.
5. How many homes did you close last year? Working with clients and actually closing sales are different things. Realtors should be able to tell you how many homes they closed last year, how many were buyers and how many were sellers.
6. For Sellers: What is your marketing plan? Sellers should expect Realtors to provide a plan on how they will market the home. This should include everything from how the home will be priced to professional pictures and an effective internet marketing strategy.
7. For Buyers: How will you find homes that match my needs? Will you be responsible for finding homes that fit your requirements, or will your agent provide a personalized home search that will notify you immediately if a home that meets your needs comes on the MLS?
8. Can I see your reviews? In addition to real estate websites, agents should be able to provide you with testimonials. Ask for testimonials from clients who were in a similar situation (buyers, sellers, out of state, income property, etc.).
If you will be buying or selling a property in Northern Nevada, we would be happy to answer any questions you might have about our experience, the local real estate market or the specific details about buying or selling a home. Contact us by calling 775-453-4568 or through this form. We would be honored to be of service.