Summer might be the hot time to sell your home, but there's a lot to be said for selling in the winter. With fewer homes on the market, there's greater competition for the homes that are for sale and real estate professionals, including title companies and contractors, are generally less busy, meaning more undivided attention for your sale.
If you are going to list your home in the near future, here are some tips for selling over the holidays.
1. Choose Simple Decor. Any holiday decor should not overwhelm the room, or take the focus off focal points like the stunning fireplace. This is a great time to go through your holiday decor and donate items you no longer use.
2. Keep it Comfortable. Make the your home is warm and inviting. A subtle holiday scent (cinnamon, pine, vanilla, etc.) can be welcoming and a cozy throw on the sofa can add holiday charm.
3. Turn the Lights On. With fewer hours of daylight, make sure your home shows well in the dark. All lights should work and be turned on for any showings. Is your living room or master bedroom a little dark? Consider getting a table lamp or two to use for showings.
4. Keep it Clean. Of course you'll want to keep your house clean for showings, but also plan to keep the walkways and porch clear of ice and mud.
5. Be Accessible. The holidays are filled with parties and get-togethers so you will likely have a few days or times that showings just won't make sense. Share your schedule with your Realtor so they are clear when your home can and can't be shown.
6. Prioritize Curb Appeal. With bare trees, dormant plants and potentially wet weather, you have to boost curb appeal for your home to make a great first impression. Properly trimmed trees and shrubs, working outdoor lights, and conservative decor can make brighten up a home's exterior during the winter holidays.
7. Interview Realtors. Not all real estate agents are created equal. Many agents take time off over the holidays, so be sure to choose someone who will be available, as well as experienced in selling homes in your neighborhood.
If you are planning to sell your home, we would be honored to assist however we can. Please reach out and we will provide you with a complimentary home valuation so you know what your home may be worth in today's market. You may have more equity in your home than you realize.