Summer is finally (officially) here and you're probably planning to spend more time in your backyard. Big or small, your yard is an investment in your home. Whether you have a quaint patio or a spacious yard, there are seven traits every outdoor space should have to maximize the aesthetic and your enjoyment of your yard.
1. Proper Lighting. Outdoor string lights along the patio, twinkle lights in the trees, or well-placed path lights can make a huge difference in both the feel of an outdoor area and its usability.
2. Outdoor Seating. A comfortable seating area is important to the flow and use of your living space. Choose something that will work well for the purpose of your space will either withstand the wide temperature swing of Northern Nevada or can easily be moved to storage.
3. Layered Planting. Choosing plants of varying heights and colors can add height and drama to your yard. If you have a plain lawn, consider adding shrubs, and a tree or two.
4. Water Feature. If you don't have the space or the budget for a pond or water garden, even a decorative pot fountain can help drawn out the noise of the city.
5. Solid Foundation. A floor is essential for any living space. Pavers, concrete, decomposed granite, even gravel can all be excellent foundations for your outdoor living space.
6. Bar or Kitchen. Eating outside is especially pleasant during Northern Nevada's summer months. An outdoor kitchen, pizza oven, or bar can become a fun gathering place in your back yard.
7. Purpose. Is your outdoor area made for lounging? Enjoying a good meal? Entertaining friends and neighbors? When designing your outdoor living space, keep the purpose in mind and purchase pieces that will represent that purpose.