If you're one of the millions of American homeowners with a concrete patio, you may be considering ideas to spruce up the space. Outdoor living spaces are especially popular with home buyers. If you are considering selling your home, a patio upgrade could be a good investment. Below are 7 tips that will update your patio.
1. Use Paint to Get Creative. Stencils can add a creative look to a concrete patio. Make sure to use outdoor paint and powerwash the patio first. Large designs will be much easier for the diy-er than small, intricate designs.
2. Install Clay Pavers over Existing Patio. Clay pavers can be an efficient way to "resurface" your patio if you are looking for an entirely new look without tearing out your existing patio.
3. Choose a Stain. Concrete stains have increased in popularity the last few years. At only about $2 per square foot, this is the most cost effective concrete patio update. Make sure to seal the stain to protect the finish.
4. Add Texture with Stamped Concrete. If you're installing a new patio or walkway, a stamped design can upgrade an otherwise plain look. Popular designs include cobblestone, brick and flagstone looks.
5. Add Scoring Patterns. Scoring patterns are just lines added to a finished concrete patio. Choose from grids, repeating lines or other geometric shapes.
6. Add Walls. Low walls can turn a boring patio into an extra 'room' in your home. Even if the space isn't covered, outdoor furniture, including a seating area and table, can create a luxurious outdoor living space. If you don't want to commit to a permanent structure, vines and trellises can give you privacy.
7. Add Other Materials. A plain concrete patio doesn't have to be boring. Add other materials and textures to accent the concrete. Rustic woods, metals and even pottery can change the entire look.
If you are interested in the current real estate market or tips that could help you get the most from your home, please contact the Sallan Real Estate team at 775-453-4568.