Summertime can be a great time to sell your home. But there are also some challenges. People may be out of town on vacations. Kids are out of school, and parents may be focused on their activities. Before you list your home with a reputable Realtor, make sure your home looks it best with these tips.
1. Use the Power Washer. From retaining walls to the driveway, give your home a good scrubbing to make it look it's best. If you don't own a power washer, there are several companies in Reno and Sparks that can do this for you.4
2. Clean the Windows. After the wet winter we had, your windows may have a grimy build up. This makes the house look like it isn't quite clean plus it doesn't allow as much light through as clean windows. Make sure your home is light and bright with freshly cleaned windows. On that note, pack up heavy, dark drapes that prevent sunlight from coming into the home.
3. Promote Outdoor Living Spaces. Have a luxurious outdoor space? Make sure that's highlighted for showings and open houses. Keep your back yard picked up. Patio furniture should be clean and have a fresh coat of paint or stain and new cushions.
4. Plant Maintenance. The growing season in Northern Nevada isn't terribly long, so play up the plants you have during the summer. If you have a vegetable garden, label the plants so potential future homeowners will know what's growing. Make sure your flowerbeds are weed-free and trim back bushes to keep the yard from looking overgrown. Plant some colorful annuals to add a pop of color if you think your yard needs it.
5. Store Winter Clothes. Since you'll be packing soon anyway, pack up your winter clothes and put them in storage so visitors can see the full size of your closets.
6. Create a Plan for Your Kids. If you have school age kids at home, showing your home may be more difficult in the summer. Not only will the kids be home more during the day, so keeping your home clean may be a challenge, but you'll also need a plan for what to do when there's a showing.
If you are planning to sell your Northern Nevada home, we'd be honored to help. Call us at 775-453-4568 for information about listing your home, your home's current value and what your next steps should be.