The view is incredible and you love the master, walk-in closet. But before you fall head over heels for a home, make sure you love these six things about the property before you commit.
1. The Community. If you've never lived in an area with a home owners association and are considering buying a home with strict HOA covenants and restrictions, be sure to read through the HOA documents closely. If have a tendency to leave your trash can out for a couple days past your scheduled trash pickup day and have a project car you proudly display in your driveway, an HOA might not be for you.
2. The Size. The cottage that was built in the 1950s is full of charm, but will it fit your growing family with only 1 bathroom? Or will you really want to be climbing two flights of stairs and cleaning a 4 bedroom home in a few years when you retire? Consider your lifestyle and needs before choosing a home that has way too little or too much space.
3. The Location. If you need to be in a certain school district or know that you don't want to drive more than 30 minutes to work, those should be requirements when looking at homes. You don't want to compromise on location today to regret the decision 6 months from now.
4. The Price. If stretching your budget to get the home of your dreams leaves you worrying about how you'll pay for other bills, you may want to continue your home search. Remember that repairs like replacing the water heater and regular home maintenance will add to your expenses.
5. The Lifestyle. If you live for happy hour, a home within walking distance of Downtown, or at least a few quality restaurants may be a requirement. If you love to hike, you may prefer a home that's close to trails.
6. The Yard. Yes, you can definitely renovate a yard. But if you're looking at a home on a large lot, is keeping up with the lawn or garden something you want to do? Instead, the yard might be small and you're an avid gardener and you'd have to significantly downsize your growing space. For many people, a home's yard can have a big influence on if they could be happy in that home.
If you are planning to purchase a new home, but aren't sure what the next step is, please give us a call. We work closely with home buyers to find a home that meets their lifestyle and their budget. For more information about Reno-Sparks real estate or to speak with a Reno Realtor call 775-453-4568.