If you've never sold a home before, there may be several difficult revelations to face. From choosing a trusted real estate agent to represent you to making updates to your home, read below for a list of the things that homeowners might be unprepared to deal with before the sale closes.
1. Choosing an agent. There are A LOT of real estate agents in Reno-Sparks. That doesn't mean you should just choose the person your hairstylist recommends (though recommendations are a very good place to start). Choose an Realtor who has experience selling homes in your area. Ask for recommendations and ask about their experience. Ultimately, choose a Realtor that you trust and that you actually like.
2. Cleaning Up. You may think your home is clean, but to an outside party, the counters may be cluttered, the closets may be bursting and your home may have lingering odors of man's best friend. If your agent points something out, please don't be offended. They really do have the best interest of selling the home in mind.
3. Making Updates. Painting, updating light fixtures, and updating the curb appeal of a home can all add to the value. If your Realtor recommends minor updates, it's likely going to add to your asking price.
4. Leaving Your Home For Showings. It's weird to let strangers into your home when you're not there. We understand. But potential home buyers are also apprehensive about viewing strangers' homes. It just makes them more uncomfortable if the home owner is watching over their shoulder. You want potential home buyers to comfortable enough to make an offer, so it's best to let them have their privacy.
5. Insulting Offers. Even though it's a seller's market in Reno-Sparks, you may still have receive an insulting offer. Offers significantly below asking price and comps can be offensive, but don't take them personally. Your agent should have considered comparable home sales, the condition and location of your home when suggesting a price. If your asking price is on target, the right offer will come in.
6. The Wait. You may have envisioned your home going on the market and three acceptable offers coming in the following weekend. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. Working closely with your Realtor will help give you an idea of how the market is currently looking for the average days on market for your price range.
If you are planning to sell your home, you may have a lot of questions. We have been selling real estate in Reno and Sparks for nearly twenty years and we would be honored to assist you in any way we can.