If you’re moving into a new home, there are a few things you’ll need to do before you move in.
1. Change your address. You can do this at the post office or you can fill out this simple form here. The earlier you can do this, the better; think at least 2 weeks or so.
2. Change the locks. You have no idea how many people may have a key to your new home. Before you move any valuables into your new place, make sure you change out those deadbolts.
3. Deep Clean. The house was probably cleaned to some extent before you moved in. But was it disinfected and cleaned to your standard? Make sure you deep clean inside cabinets, closets, and inside drawers and cupboards. Have the carpets cleaned too since you have no idea what kind of germs can be lurking there.
4. Handle Utilities. Make sure the utilities at your new house will be transferred to your name and the utilities at your old house are transferred out of your name. Make sure you check into cable, satellite and internet options as most neighborhoods in Reno offer more than one provider.
5. Update Your Contact Information. Notify your bank, credit card companies, insurance providers, schools, and anyone else who might need to contact you that your address has changed.
6. De-Clutter. Before you move is the best time to decide what needs to go. It’s easiest to go room by room and have a box (or boxes) that you want to get rid of before you start packing for the move. Reno has a lot of non-profit organizations that will pick up your donated goods. If you’re planning to have a garage sale, check out our tips to have the best garage sale.