Millennials, well known for killing off norms like the 9:00-5:00 workday and department stores, are still interested in the security of home ownership. Many neighborhoods appeal to Millennials because of access to nightlife, job opportunities, and affordable housing. With the thriving economy and businesses continuing to move to Northern Nevada, the influx of young professionals is continuing. Nearly 40% of home buyers are Millennials and there are some home upgrades this generation cares more about than previous generations. If you're planning to sell your home, consider these upgrades if you're planning to attract Millennial buyers.
1. Simple Landscaping. Millennials are looking for outdoor spaces that are easy to maintain. Gardens or low-maintenance garden beds are preferred over well-manicured landscapes. If you're planning a yard renovation prior to listing, choose low-maintenance plants and make sure the watering system is fully functioning.
2. Flexible Floor Plan. Formal dining rooms and designated office spaces with built ins don't appeal to Millennial buyers who prefer open floor plans and flexible space. A kitchen renovation could include a breakfast bar or opening up a wall, if feasible. A home office space can be a huge plus for young professionals that telecommute.
3. No Carpet. If you're going to update your flooring, decor trends have moved away from wall to wall carpet. Millennials especially are choosing wood, or wood-like floors, and even stained concrete with area rugs.
4. Smart Technology. Smart home devices like video doorbells, thermostats, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and locks are appealing to Millennials and should be included in marketing materials about the home.
5. USB Outlets. If you're updating your outlets, consider adding USB outlets, especially in the master bedroom, kitchen, and home office. Constant use of your smart phone can drain the battery and USB outlets are sure to garner a second look.
6. Outdoor Living Space. Like the yard, the outdoor living space should be kept low-maintenance. Millennials are known for spending their money on experiences rather than things, so an outdoor space that allows them to spend time with friends and family, while enjoying the gorgeous Northern Nevada weather can be a perfect addition to your yard.
If you are planning to sell your home, fall can be a great season to do so, as many home buyers would like to celebrate the holidays in their new home. For more information about the local real estate market, or for information on buying or selling a home, please contact Sallan Real Estate.