The documents are signed and your Realtor has given you the key to your new home! Take time to celebrate, but remember there are a few things you'll want to do as soon as you move in to your new home.
1. Change the Locks. Contractors, neighbors, and the previous owner's friends may all have keys to your home. Have the locks re-keyed or just replace them before moving in.
2. Deep Clean. You'd hope the home was cleaned before you move in, but with open houses and showings, you'll want to clean again. Whether you bust out the disinfectant or you hire a professional, a deep cleaning of your new home is in order.
3. Change Alarm Batteries. Changing your carbon monoxide and smoke alarm batteries doesn't sound that important with all the other things you have to do when you move, but it's the type of thing that gets forgotten. Change the batteries now and you won't have to worry about it for another 6 months.
4. Upgrade Closets. It's much easier to change the layout or upgrade a closet before it's crammed with clothes, shoes and jackets. Make the changes now before an inefficient closet space gets crammed with stuff and neglected.
5. Child-Proof Everything. If you have young kids, take the time now to child-proof the house. Cover outlets, secure furniture, install baby gates, and make sure the outside fencing is stable and secure.
If you are planning to sell your home or buy a new home in the Reno-Sparks, please reach out to Sallan Real Estate; we will be honored to assist you.