You don’t need a huge yard to create a beautiful and low-maintenance garden. Whether your yard is more of a courtyard or you enjoy spacious acres, these easy garden ideas will inspire you to put on your gardening gloves.
1. Xeriscaping. Drought-tolerant plants like cacti and succulents do well in our dry summers. Instead of installing sod, rock or gravel are water-friendly solutions.
2. Shade Plants. If you have shaded areas in your yard, it's easy to ignore them. Because a shaded area can look a little somber with just single tone plants. Work with your local garden center to choose a variety of plants that add texture and color.
3. Add Levels. Whether you use a trellis, concrete levels, or hanging baskets you can create height to add dimension to your garden.
4. Mix Herbs and Flowers. Who says you can't grow annuals and herbs together? The background of the herbs can be a pretty contrast to bright annual flowers. If you don't have a lot of space, herbs and flowers can be grown together in pots.
5. Vertical Planting. If you have a smaller space or just want to try something different, a vertical garden may be just what you need. You can buy a kit from a local garden shop, or you can create your own. The basic idea is to grow up, not out by planting in compartments along a tall planter.
6. Use Pottery. Herbs grow really well in pots and are fairly easy to maintain. So make the pots a focal point in the yard by choosing pieces you love.