The bathroom is often the last room to be updated. It's worked just fine for you for years, but you're thinking about selling your home and you know updates need to be made. Before you start tearing out walls, consider these basic updates that can save you money in the long run while increasing the value of your home.
1. Lighting. Dated light fixtures with poor lighting can make a bathroom seem small and dingy. For under $100, you can purchase a new fixture.
2. Fixtures. If you have dated of grungy fixtures, the fix is easy. Choose new drawer pulls, door handles and towel rack.
3. Double Vanity. Some home buyers won't even consider a home with a master bath with only one sink. If you have the space, adding another sink can be a substantial upgrade. If you're already planning a bathroom remodel, spending around $1000 for the vanity and installation may be worth it for you.
4. Toilet. A water efficient toilet can be an inexpensive upgrade. For around $100, your new toilet can save on your water usage and can be quieter than older toilets. Pass of the bidet, however. Buyers can be confused by them and most bathrooms don't have room for them.
5. Tile. Tile can upgrade the entire look of a bathroom, but make sure you stick with neutral styles. Natural stone that isn't too busy, subway tiles, and neutral tile will give you the most bang for your buck. Remember to consider the size of the room when purchasing tile- small tiles can be overwhelming in a large room.
6. Sink. If your sink is chipped, discolored or outdated, it's time to replace it. You can purchase a new modern sink for under $200. A new faucet, that matches the fixtures, can complete the look.
If you're planning to sell your home in Reno-Sparks, we would be honored to assist you. Please contact us for information about the Northern Nevada real estate market or for a complimentary home valuation.