Moving? Don’t stress about it by following these simple steps. Whether you’ve accepted a new job in another city or are downsizing to a smaller home in the neighborhood, moving doesn’t have to cause sleepless nights and frantic sessions of last minute packing.
1. Schedule Packing Time. Block off a day or two (or more) to pack. Planning to fit in time to pack around your normal schedule, might leave you rushing on moving day.
2. Clear the Clutter. Take time while packing to donate, sell or throwaway items you no longer use. Hosting a garage sale can help you afford moving costs. Donating to Goodwill or other thrift store/charity organizations can be used as a tax write-off.
3. Create a Packing Strategy. Packing and unpacking is much easier if you attack it room by room. Make sure you label the boxes by the room and items packed. You can color coordinate by the packing tape or the box labels for each room.
4. Stockpile Boxes. Moving companies may supply the boxes for your move. If not, ask friends and family a month or more in advance as their employers may have boxes they can collect for you. Check local Craigslist and Freecycle ads for people giving away moving boxes. Some grocery and big box stores are willing to give away their used boxes as well.
5. Plan Your Calendar. If you have to be out of your old home by Wednesday, but your new home doesn’t close until Friday, have a plan for where you’ll stay (and where all your stuff will stay) in the mean time.
If you’re planning to move in the Reno/Sparks area, we’d love to help. We create a personalized marketing plan for home sellers to best showcase your home to prospectiver buyers. For buyers we have a customized home search tool that allows you to view homes for sale moments after they are listed. For more information about either buying or selling a home in Reno, give us a call at 775-453-4568.