If you’re considering selling your Reno, Nevada home in the near future, there’s no better time to evaluate the look of your home. Before the chaos of the holiday season, take a look around your house at clutter, outdated decor, and wasted space . Bring a friend by to get their honest opinion. Sometimes it’s very simple things that can make a home look so much better.
Here is a quick list of things you can do to make your home more inviting to buyers.
1. Replace Old Carpet. If you can’t steam clean the stains out of your carpet or it’s looking worn, it’s time to replace it. You can replace the old carpet with new carpet, go for wood flooring or a quality laminate wood, or install tile.
2. Replace Old, Ugly Light Fixtures and Ceiling Fans. If you still have that contractors’ grade light fixture in your dining room or a ceiling fan that’s seen better days, you can replace them fairly easily. Big box stores tend to have ceiling fans on sale during the cooler off-season and their installation cost is around $100.
3. Drab Bedroom Decor. Check out the post-holiday sales for new bedding, curtains and area rugs. A new, stylish bed spread and coordinating pillows can go a long way to making a room look fresher.
4. Update old paint. If the exterior paint of your home is faded, you may only have a couple more weeks to paint before the weather in Reno is too cold. Work with a painting contractor to choose a paint color that will compliment style of the home. If the interior of your home needs updated color choices or just some freshening up, don’t feel like you have to paint the entire house. Pick and choose rooms that need the most updating or will show well.
5. Replace the Huge TV and Other Decor Killers. If the enormous box of a TV is taking up space in the corner of your living room, consider downsizing to something sleeker and more modern. The gigantic sectional you purchased when the kids still lived at home was useful then, but not so much now that they’ve moved out. Big, bulky furniture takes up valuable living space. It can also make it difficult for potential buyers to imagine their own furniture in the space. Plus, holiday sales are a great opportunity to purchase a new TV!