Whether you're looking for your first home or your seventh, there are several things home buyers tend to overlook when they're purchasing a home. Before you make an offer, there are make sure you consider these five things first.
1. Check out the Neighborhood at Night. You're not just looking for crime. Does everyone in the neighborhood park on the street? Is there a party house that plays music late into the night and has a busload of people over? Visiting a neighborhood over several days at several different times of the day can save you a headache later on.
2. Resale Value. Maybe the busy road behind the property doesn't bother you, but that could be cause for concern for a lot of home buyers.
3. Your Commute. If you have any doubts about the commute, check it out before you make the purchase. If you can't be there in person to make the commute to or from work to the new house, spend time on Google Maps (or another mapping app) to see what the drive time is during your commute.
4. CC&Rs. You will need to know if your home has an HOA or CC&Rs. The conditions, covenants and restrictions govern what homeowners are and are not allowed to do with their properties. From leaving garbage cans on the curb after trash pickup to exterior paint choices, to whether or not you can rent your house out, to landscape design, you will want to know what those restrictions are before you purchase a property.
5. Enough Space to Grow. Are you planning to start or grow your family? Will you be working from home? Does your backyard have enough space for your kids to play in? The home may fit your family today, but thing about 3 or 8 years in the future, if you plan on staying in the home that long.
Are you planning to purchase a home in the Northern Nevada area? We love living in the Reno area and know you will too. We have extensive experience buying and selling homes in Reno, Sparks and surrounding areas. If you would like a personalized home search, we can set that up so you receive homes that fit your search parameters by email as soon as they hit the market. Call us at 775-453-4568 or fill out this brief form.